Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Next 50 Years on the Moon (1974) part 1


This is my 300th posting!  When I started this back in Feb of 2009, I knew I had some cool stuff to share but I had also never done a blog before. 

http://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2009/02/what-is-this-all-about.html

I was worried about "burn-out" and the rigor of having to come up with something interesting to show or say. But I am still going strong, with cool new stuff I have found and old stuff I am getting a chance to look at again.  Like some collectors there was a time when I could not seem to add stuff fast enough and some of it got briefly looked at before it got stored.

Thank you for your comments and support.  I repeat again: "I think this stuff is cool and it feels good that other people agree with me."

So as an example of going deeper I look back on this book from Jan 4, 2010:
http://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2010/01/next-50-years-on-moon-1974.html

Bergaust, Erik. The Next 50 Years on the Moon. New York: GP Putnam's Sons. (94 p.) 24 cm. 1974.

I love the illustrations in this book of what an alternative future of our time on the Moon might have looked like.  So I have scanned in almost all the illustrations and examples of this alternative timeline.  For the next few postings I will take you to the "further" exploration of the Moon as seen through NASA and the aerospace companies of the time.






This next set illustrates what Apollo 19-24 might have looked like:




The "souped-up Lunar Excursion Module (LEM)"

The variety of vehicles that never made it off the show room floor :)

Much more to come...

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if this is the only version out there of a possible future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it coming - i look forward to my daily dose of retro future! Its a fabulous blog and a fantastic resource. Well done, heres to the next 300!

    ReplyDelete